You’re thinking about getting married. This is an exciting time in your life!
We believe in God’s plan for marriage, which is why we use God’s Word as our instruction book as we help prepare you for marriage!
We strongly recommend that you enroll in Premarital Mentoring before you get engaged or set a date! However, if that doesn’t happen, our next suggestion is that you enroll in premarital mentoring at least 6 months before your wedding date.
What is Premarital Mentoring?
Premarital Mentoring is not:
- Another box to check off – (flowers, DJ, premarital)
- Something you must do to get a pastor to marry you
- Something you do to make your parents or fiancé happy
- Is the most important part of the wedding planning process
- Helps you see clearly what God says about marriage
- Provides practical skills for conflict resolution and communication
- Identifies difficulties that are common to every marriage
- Identifies strengths and targets potential problem areas in your relationship
- Helps you experience the fullness of God’s blessing in your relationship
- Builds the foundation for marriage
- Teaches you how to build strength to overcome in areas that usually destroy marriages
- Develops communication skills
- Establishes whether or not God is at the center of your marital plans
- Assesses where you are and where you need to be spiritually
- Assesses how long the engagement should be and assists you in setting a wedding date
Marital success is not based on the flowers, the wedding dress or even the rings. A successful marriage is most often determined by how much effort goes into developing the right tools to maintain a lifelong partnership based on the Word of God.
Premarital mentors will do everything possible to help couples prepare for one of God’s most awesome gifts – marriage!
Remember, a marriage is far more important than the wedding day.
- 8 sessions, each lasting 2-2 1/2 hours
- Attendance is mandatory
- Sessions are taught by our Premarital Mentor couples
- Mentors will be assigned once the application process is complete
- Mentoring is open to all engaged or pre-engaged couples who are seeking to have a biblically based marriage.
- It is strongly recommended that your wedding date does NOT fall within 3 months after the last session.
- There will be a $100 enrollment fee due upon receipt of application.
All couples must comply with the following policy in order to be married at Big Valley Grace Community Church or to have a Big Valley Grace pastor officiate your wedding off-site:
- Complete the Premarital Mentoring sessions (approx. 8 sessions) and take the SYMBIS assessment.
- Couples must be legally divorced from prior marriages, based on biblical grounds (See Matthew 5:30-31 and I Corinthians 7).
- Couples must be equally yoked (See II Corinthians 6:14)
- Couples must abstain from premarital sex or cohabitation during the courting process and sign a Purity Covenant (See I Thessalonians 4:3-8, I Corinthians 6:18-20, Acts 24:16)
(Not complying with these recommendations will not disqualify you from premarital mentoring, but may disqualify you from being married at BVG and from having a Big Valley Grace Community Church pastor officiate your wedding.)
Premarital Mentoring Application
The first step in the process is filling out the Premarital Mentoring Application. This process will require approximately 30-45 minutes per spouse. If you have any questions about this part of the process, please contact us.